Tuesday, January 6, 2015

“Bloodchild” Octavia Butler

This story was amazing! It was so moving for a struggle that is so unidentifiable. It is still so effective for how primal it is. That is one of the biggest tenants we have drilled into us as film students. The best stories have high stakes. I was on the edge of my seat reading it the whole time. It was intense and had a full dynamic range of emotion. I really thought the story would turn to Gan blowing his head off.

Not understanding the world was not a distraction at all. It is so strange to be so absorbed in a story and not be able to identify with what the characters are or what the interpersonal dynamics are. I was engaged long before these details were shared in the story. It’s a super freaky and traumatizing practice, but I love Gan’s maturity, acceptance, and value in family. I didn’t hate T’Gatoi either. I thought I might during Lomas’ “birth,” but I guess that because that’s how Gan felt, too. I’m surprised by how quickly and deeply I identified with him.

I really liked hearing about Gan’s dad. Gan’s memories of him made me happy, too. It’s pretty cool that T’Gatoi was one of his “babies.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment