Saturday, January 10, 2015

Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel by Jeaniene Frost

I also read Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel by Jeaniene Frost over break. It has been on my Kindle for a while because Amazon recommended it based on a bunch of other stuff I have read. The description sounded a little corny, but given it was only $2 and recommended I had gotten it to try out. Amazon has it listed as gothic romance, but I think its more clearly described as urban fantasy erotic romance vampire horror.

The beginning seemed to be trying too hard to make her the sassy but sheltered heroine. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to identify with her. It tried a bunch of quippy terms that really shouldn’t have made the cut, like ass-munch, suck-neck, and artery party. I guess it was supposed to be part of her innocence showing through, but it was so bad I was questioning the author.

I was intrigued when the book’s vampire rules came up. I was interested because I hadn’t seen this specific set of vampire-lore in the other series I’ve read. These vampire conventions included: death by decapitation and silver bullets if there are enough are fired into the heart, scent beyond sight distance, hearing of a heartbeat a mile away, fangs with a drop of hallucinogen, eyes that glow green with power during the use of mind-control, no ill effects from wood only silver, and no adverse effects from religious items. It is nothing unfamiliar, but a particular mix nonetheless.

I appreciated her penchant for gin and tonics, my personal favorite, as well. I also liked the Sherlock Holmes reference: ”When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

The awkward encounters at her apartment between her neighbor, mom, and Bones (the vampire boyfriend) were almost slapstick. It was a little too much situational comedy, but still amusing. I didn’t like it going in the direction of he becoming a government agent. I’ve read the Anita Blake books and thought this was about the dorkiest way to take the story. Also, it came out of nowhere, and not in a good surprise twist kind of way. “You’ll become one of the most prized weapons the U. S. government has to protect its citizens against dangers they can’t even imagine.” Oh puh-lease.


I was so excited when their plan was interrupted by Bones! However, of course, the heroine of the first book in a series has to screw everything up for herself. I was bummed that it ended with her completely removing herself from Bones. But it’s a series, DUH! They probably got me hooked into checking out the next one and hoping they don’t continue with the government agent thing. However, I’m a sucker for series and I’ll probably continue with the series for a bit even if she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment