Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Red Dwarf

I watched an episode and a half for my exposure to science fiction parody. I saw the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film a long time ago, so I had a sense of what to expect from this category. There were funny bits in what I watched, but its not quite my thing. Its mostly wondering what is even happening right now and surprising yourself when you occasionally laugh at something.

I'm ok with the absurd, but I think I prefer it in a more plot driven "weird" material than in satire and parody. The bickering between the roommates was pretty fun. Those types of relationships have such a delicate balance before one of them just bashes the other upside the head. Their frustration with each other is palpable. Lister smoking in space was funny and resting the cigarette in his ear was an interesting decision.

I liked his cat a lot! Too bad it evolved into that weird guy. I was watching it with my friend and when her crawls out in the pink suit she's going who is that, but I knew its the cat! So funny! I liked the choice to give him cat like mannerisms. When Cat first runs into Lister and Rimmel he goes up on his toes and raises his shoulders saying, "I've got to look big!" When cat claws and the monitor when he sees the dog and says he is going to want to chase it if he sees it in real life wasn't as successful. I think the earlier bit before you knew for sure it was a cat worked, but later I just thought, "yeah, he is a cat. I get it."

I liked the bit about going to Fiji. As a joke it could run a bit longer than the cat thing. I also liked some of the lines that came out of Rimmel's situation as a hologram, specifically that he could no longer "'interfere' with a woman sexually." Then Rimmel tells Lister that he will now have to touch things for him. Lister replies, "I've seen the things you touch. No, thank you." Why anyone thought it would be funny to give Rimmel beehive hair is beyond me.

The genre is not plot driven. Any attempt to explain a plot. like in the introduction to the episodes, is the biggest joke they could make. Their whole point is to not give the story a plot and poke fun at the essence of all scifi that is plot driven. It is extremely goofy. There are no rules, no logic. Anything can happen for any reason or no reason at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment